Whether you dream of perfecting confectioned creations or are more interested in catering celebrity laden parties, the first step towards culinary excellence is a proper education. Culinary certificates and degree programs are tailored to the particular branch of culinary arts that you are interested in pursuing. With programs available online as well as in cities across the United States, there is nothing holding you back from reaching your dream of a rewarding career in the kitchen.
Studying to become a chef involves a lot more than learning how to cook. In order to be successful in the culinary industry, you will need to know how to manage a kitchen and work with other chefs—either above or below you in ranking. You will also need to know how to communicate efficiently with diners, restaurant owners and catering clients. When all is said and done, knowing how to cook is only half of a premier culinary education. That is why culinary certification programs offer such comprehensive coursework.
Starting with your very first culinary fundamentals course, you will learn everything from knife skills to food safety concerns as you expand your palate and become comfortable with a wide variety of exotic ingredients. You will learn to identify foods and products, learn cooking methods from a variety of cultures, and become so comfortable with measurement techniques that you will know culinary math like it’s the back of your hand.
As you progress through a culinary degree program, you will likely take classes in the following subject areas:
• Cooking techniques, including cooking with dry and moist heat, such as grilling, sautéing, roasting, stewing and braising.
• You will learn cooking fundamentals for all meals, including breakfast, lunch, brunch, dinner and dessert. While you may choose to specialize in one of these fields, a comprehensive program will prepare you to be a talented chef for any type of meal, including soups, pastries and other specialty dishes.
• Have a solid understanding of foods and cooking methods from around the world, including the cuisines of France, India and Italy as well as Hispanic and Middle Eastern cultures.
• Historical overview of master chefs so you can learn to emulate the techniques that made so many advances to the culinary world.
A culinary education is your ticket to a lifelong career in the culinary world. Entering a career in the culinary industry is like no other. You will never find yourself trapped at a desk for 40 hours a week and chances are you won’t be stuck in the morning commute either. Whether you choose to serve breakfast at the crack of dawn or hope to serve five star dinners, there is an aspect of culinary work that will fit what you are looking for.
In addition to pursuing a culinary career in a restaurant, you can find yourself working in a government agency serving cuisine to diplomats, or in hotels serving meals to traveling business people and touring families.
A certificate in culinary education is your gateway to a world of career opportunities, such as:
• Food stylist
• Restaurant owner
• Food critic or writer
• Professional food or recipe taster
• Produce grower
• Culinary tour guide
If you are contemplating a career in the culinary industry, then take the first step and consider the benefits of a culinary education. With online classes, you can get started towards a culinary career right away.
Explore your options for earning a degree in culinary arts or hospitality at Cooking Culinary Arts Schools. Start working toward your future today!